Sunday, March 22, 2009

Task 6

I've added Twitter, Skype, and Ta-Da.

Twitter seems of limited utility to me so far. I've followed some famous folks, who still tweet about their own children and what restaurant they are in far more than anything interesting from the world of ideas. This is just a marketing tool for them (and for many) I think. It's only value seems to be to summarize ideas from conferences and send them to folks who couldn't attend. Maybe I'd use it more if it came to my phone. I see no real classroom use for it.

I read about Ta-Da on Natalie's blog, and I wanted to try it. I made a list, put Ta-Da onto my Bookmarks, but don't think I'll use it. I prefer the to do list gadget which appears as a tiny legal pad on my Google homepage.

I DO think I'll like Skype. I've downloaded it --simple 2 minutes-- and now I'm contacting my family to see who has the video capability. More importantly, I'm now set up to use it in my classroom this week to talk with my contact at the British Museum.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't like Twitter at first but once I started following more people of similar interests I was able to find a use for it. It really all depends on the type of people you follow. I make a point to read a person's profile and some of their previous tweets before I decide to follow them. I also only tend to follow other educators or technology staff in schools. I don't read every tweet or click on every link that is sent, but I briefly scan over what is posted and decide what is worthy of reading. I have found many useful tools that other teachers have posted and have seen some of their class projects. It has been a great tool for me.

    ReplyDelete