Monday, March 30, 2009

Alan November, again

I appreciate Natalie's comments on November's "free form" presentation. Natalie rightly point out that we could look at it as modeling for us how to experiment with these new tools. That is, in a sense, what made it seem possible that we could actually use them! If this guy bobbing and weaving in front of a live audience can find things on the net and encourage us to find them, then that is effective instruction. I didn't think the audience was hostile, but then I was one of those who initially expressed frustration with his presentation when he got stuck trying to retrieve information. He presented himself as open to dialogue with the audience and repeatedly asked for feedback as to how he was doing, so I assumed he really wanted to know. I talked with him during the break and felt he genuinely liked the give and take. It was an unusual method for a guest speaker all the way round. Still, I remain grateful to him for helping me enter this new place.

These forms of communication do seem to me like a new "place". Like a home of sorts. I'm still unpacking boxes, though, and wondering what I'll really need to live here.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the neighborhood - we're glad you are here!

    ReplyDelete